Componex works with several of the industry’s leading experts to provide accurate information on web handling fundamentals. Idler rollers used in today’s high speed printing and converting equipment play a major part in the success of a machine’s overall operation.
Traction Testing Video
Componex worked with Optimation to test the traction performance of a WINertia AV™ roll, a spiral grooved roll and a smooth idler roll.
Traction is lost and slippage begins when a layer of air forms between the web and the roller. In order to maintain constant traction at all web speeds the air between the web and the roller needs to be properly vented.
|Roll type||Web acceleration||Web begins to slip||Idler speed with web at 1900 FPM|
|Spiral grooved||0-1900 FPM||700||1000|
|WINertia AV||0-1900 FPM||no slippage||1900|
Roisum YouTube Web Handling Videos
Dr. David Roisum is a well renowned and accomplished author of several articles, books and videos for the web handling industry. His collection of short Web201 tutorial videos are an excellent resource and with his permission we are providing a few direct YouTube links.
Following are a few direct links to Dr. Roisum’s Web201 videos:
- Web201.34b Myth busting in Web Handling – Rollers
- Web201.20a Does Spiral Grooving of Rollers Spread
- Web201.20b Concave Roller Spreading
- Web201.20c Roller Misalignment and Steering
- Web201.20d Web Path Movement Checked by a Witness Line
Professor Steven Abbott has created several Application programs for the web handling industry. He also hosts some of Dr. David Roisum’s resource information and with his permission we are providing a few direct links to his website.
- Roisum Dictionary of Web Terms
- Roisum YouTube Web handling Tutorials (Web201 collection)
- Air Lubrication Calculator (Air trapped between Web and Roller) and User’s Manual
- Wrinkle Predictor (How Web Wrinkles depend on Misalignment, Tension etc.) and User’s Manual
- Wrinkle Troubleshooter and User’s Manual
- Practical Web handling (Complete listing of Abbot Apps)
Dr. Kevin Cole is an industry expert in web handling and roller technology. He has authored several informative publications on web handling and has made them readily available as downloads from the Optimation website.
Web Alignment Services
Maintaining machine alignment throughout the entire web process is essential. Machines that are in alignment create the best possible product while running at optimum high speeds. When changing from a smooth style roll to a WINertia AV style roll your web will not slip and the web will follow the direction of the idler. The WINertia AV rolls maintain 100% traction and if your machine is out of alignment several web related problems will be magnified.
If you are experiencing web related problems when using the WINertia AV rolls, then we recommend getting your machine aligned by a professional alignment service. Following are a few alignment service companies that our customers have recommended.